Use a good quality
guidebook to help decide what to see and do on your vacation.
How do you decide which
attractions to visit when you have never been to the destination?
One best answer is to use our
. However, if
you want more detail, you might consider using a travel guidebook (see
buy a good
guidebook) as a filter to find the attractions that are right
- It is unlikely that any competent, professional, travel guide will
overlook major attractions.
- If some of the places that you have heard about are not in the
guidebook, do yourself a favor and look at a second guidebook as part of
your planning process.
- If neither guidebook mentions these locations, it is possible that
visiting the sites may not be a good use of your vacation time.
One simple measure of the importance a guidebook editorial team assigns
to an attraction or activity is the length of space used to
- Visiting locations that are described in travel guides with one-line
comments is unlikely to be the best use of your vacation time.
- If the description of any attraction starts “If you have lots of
time…” visit the location only if you are in the area and have stumped
for something to do.
Many travelers, who spend a substantial amount of money on their
vacation, for some curious reason skimp on purchasing a guidebook.
- Although you can find a tremendous amount of information about
destinations on the Internet, in newspapers and magazines, many of these
sources lack the uniform, editorial voice, balanced presentation, and
detail found in a good guidebook.
- Having a favorite guidebook series is like having your own personal
travel guide. Good authors provide all the information you need in one
- You can pick up a quality guidebook at Barnes and Noble, Borders or
order one from Amazon in less time than you can search for this type of
information on the Internet or in magazines.
- Try a guidebook; we think you will find that its use will help you
plan a fantastic vacation.
If you need to find information about Destinations or other Things
Travelers Need To Know, try Googling ThereArePlaces.